Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Spicoli

I was thinking about what we were talking about in class in regard to if we could be any identity, what it would be. For the longest time, I've always been facinated with characters like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High and total burnout but happy-go-lucky characters in fiction. I think it would be a whole lot of fun to be a person like this in real life except for that a person like this wouldn't exactly be successful in the academic world or business world which is also something that I aspire. But if there was a way that I could make a lot of money and provide an awesome life for my kids while being real chill and happy-go-lucky I would totally take advantage of it. I really enjoyed the people in highschool that would show up to school just to make people laugh and have a good time and be people persons. It seems like people like Spicoli or the characters in Dazed and Confused really just enjoy their lives to fullest, however its likely that most people like this in real life just turn out to be burnout middle-aged men. So I guess I'm caught between my fun ambitions and economic ambitions. Thats why I think it would be awesome to just be that kind of chill beach bum but also have a bar and a boat and some kind of service to people. Another down side to the 'chill dude' image is that people would immediantly label this identity as being either a 'pothead' or a 'burnout'. But this is definitly not entirely true. I would want to convey the attitude of a laidback beach dude but would definitly not be a 'pothead' or 'burnout' even though some may tag me as that. "Ahhh Gnarleyyyyy!"

No comments: